A complete shutter-down strike and wheel-jam protest paralyzed large parts of Balochistan on Thursday, as civil society, traders, and lawyers responded to a call by the Baloch Yakjehti Committee (BYC) against Wednesday’s suspected airstrike in the Gadar Gandan area of district Surab.
At least eight civilians were killed and several others injured when, according to local sources, an aerial strike targeted a cluster of houses in the remote Gadar Gandan locality on Wednesday evening. But another end DG ISPR says that At least 21 people, including 18 militants and 3 civilians, were killed in a series of explosions and a security operation in Surab ,Officials said a blast occurred while terrorists were preparing a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device (VBIED), killing 8 militants on the spot and wounding several others. Security forces immediately launched a pursuit operation in the surrounding area, neutralizing an additional 10 terrorists in a subsequent exchange of fire.
parlty Markets and commercial centers remained closed in the provincial capital, Quetta, as well as in Surab, Khuzdar, Kalat, Mastung, and Noshki. Major inter-district highways were blocked with parked vehicles and burning tyres, disrupting traffic flow and forcing travelers to remain stranded at various points.
In Surab, the epicenter of the protest, all businesses remained shut, and a heavy contingent of security forces was deployed to maintain order. BYC activists led peaceful processions through the main bazaar, chanting slogans against the alleged extra-judicial killings and demanding accountability for those responsible.
The protest movement expanded to the legal fraternity as well. The Balochistan Bar Council announced a complete boycott of judicial proceedings across the province today. Lawyers will not appear before any court, and all lower and district court hearings have been adjourned in solidarity with the victims’ families and to condemn the loss of civilian lives.
“This is not a political agitation; this is a humanitarian response to state violence against unarmed civilians,” a BYC spokesperson said, while addressing a small gathering in Quetta. “We demand a transparent inquiry into the Gadar Gandan incident and compensation for the heirs of the martyrs.”
The strike remained largely peaceful, although sporadic reports of tyre-burning and road blockades came in from the outskirts of Kalat and Mastung. Public transport and private vehicles remained off the roads, while petrol pumps and grocery stores mostly stayed bolted.
Educational institutions in the affected districts also remained closed as a precautionary measure. Mobile phone services were reportedly disrupted in parts of Surbat and Khuzdar, though no official confirmation was available at the time of filing this report.
Authorities have urged protesters to maintain peace and have assured that the situation is being reviewed at the highest levels. However, no formal statement from the provincial government or military spokesperson had been issued regarding the nature of Wednesday’s operation.
The Balochistan Dispatch will continue to monitor developments as protest calls are expected to escalate in the coming days.






Comments
Leave a Comment
Your comment will be reviewed before it appears publicly.